Saturday, March 07, 2009

Basil Thai - Urbana, IL

I enjoy Thai food so was happy to learn of Basil Thai (701 S Gregory Street) in Urbana. I have eaten there several times but find the food inconsistent. The picture above shows Tropical Fried Rice (Stir-fried rice with pineapple, onion, carrot, green pea, egg, and chicken). This time it was quite moist so reminded me more of a hotdish! The flavors will still satisfying. I have also tried pad woon sen and a couple other items. The place is located on the east side of campus near the Krannert Center (good place to go before a concert). It is usually busy with a cross-section of the college crowd. On my last visit I heard at least five languages being spoken at nearby tables while I waited for my food. Orders are placed at the counter and then are brought to the tables identified by a number. This is not the "best" place for Thai food in Champaign-Urbana, but I will definitely return because of its location, casual atmostphere, and inexpensive prices.

No comments: