Saturday, January 03, 2009

The Zodiac - Neiman Marcus Department Stores

Knowing little else about Neiman Marcus beyond the urban legend of the cookie recipe, I ventured into The Zodiac (top floor of Michigan Avenue store). I arrived as the restaurant opened for lunch. The restaurant is very nice with white tablecloths and padded chairs. North facing windows reflect sunshine spilling over the lower park and firehouse in the adjacent block and the highrise marble facade of Macy's/Watertower Place a block beyond. The Neiman Marcus experience begins with the traditional hot chicken consommé, a popover, and strawberry butter. Very tasty!


For lunch I chose the Mandarin Orange Soufflé with NM chicken salad, toasted almonds, seasonal fruit, and house zucchini bread. Again, a very good choice (except the melons).

The portions are adequate and satisfying. The menu had many other attractive offerings as well. (I hope to return and try more!) The servers were attentive and atmosphere formal, but comfortable. When it came time to pay for my lunch, I was ready to charge the $20 fee to my credit card. Since this was my first ever purchase at Neiman Marcus, I didn't realize they do not accept Mastercard or Visa. Instead they only accept store cards, American Express, cash, or personal check. Perhaps a way to develop "personal relationships" with their customers. For a special occassion (or when someone else will take the check) head over to Neiman Marcus and try out their menu!

No comments: