Saturday, December 27, 2008

Don't Get Too Comfortable

I'm not sure how the work of David Rakoff first came to my attention. It might have been on NPR. Or it could have been from a recommendation on amazon. Or it might have been some other way. Regardless, I picked up his book, Fraud, at a second hand store in Chicago and enjoyed his humorous essays. His erudite writing is similar in a style to David Sedaris (before he gave in to quantity over quality) or Sarah Vowell (whose new book is next on my list to read!).




Last June, I posted my reading list for summer 2008. I didn't accomplish as much as I hoped, but I have finished reading Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, the Torments of Low Thread Count, the Never-Ending Question for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems. In addition to the indignities of the subtitle, this book explores the problems that arise when you dine at over-rated pretentious northern California restaurants; have time to scour the earth of Brooklyn for edible greens, berries, and mushrooms; cruise on the Concord; and seek high fashion. Getting a facelift is another "First World Problem." The clip includes the author reading an abridged version of his piece on that incident. I'm not sure about the graphics or the author's rendition of the piece... I think I prefer reading it for myself.

Reading anything by Rakoff will enlarge your vocabulary. Here are a few words he uses: anomie, auteurism, coruscating, gorgons, hypertrophic, japery, oleaginous, priapic, purling, putative, reticulation, spurious, tumescence. All part of the average person's everyday speaking vocabulary, wouldn't you say?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is nothing on u-tube! But it sounds like it WOULD be interesting!