Saturday, October 18, 2008

Companion - Clayton, MO

Companion (8143 Maryland Ave.) is a neat little bakery and cafe tucked into a neighborhood commercial strip in upscale Clayton, MO (Saint Louis metro area). I stopped for breakfast and enjoyed the baked French toast covered with fresh fruit. Patrons are served at the counter and then take their tray to sit in the cramped space or go outdoors to a nice patio area. It seemed like the type of place that was often busy but there also didn't seem to be a good way to organize the space. There was a notice the store was going to be temporarily closing for a remodel so maybe this issue will be addressed in the process. I would return to this pleasant place if I was in the neighborhood but I wouldn't drive out of my way to seek it. The French toast, however, is something I might try to recreate in my own kitchen!

Food: ****
Ambience: ***
Service: **
(out of 5 stars)

No comments: